How to Refinish Hardwood
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Refinishing Hardwood Flooring and other Hardwood-Flooring topics.
How do I refinish hardwood floors?
Homeowners who find damaged hardwood flooring under carpeting may be able to refinish the hardwood to create an attractive room. Refinishing hardwood floors requires a great deal of work, but it is not a particularly complicated process. The process involves:
- Filling in any cracks or gaps evident in the old flooring.
- Renting a sander or hiring a professional to sand the floor to smooth the surface and prepare it for staining.
- Buffing the floor to further prepare the surface for the stain and finish.
- Choosing and applying the stain.
- Completing the project with a finishing coat. The finish may be an oil-based or a water-based polyurethane finish. There are advantages and disadvantages to each type so it is important to carefully research the options.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.